There are thousands of photos and profiles of girls on the Asian dating sites. Take an example of a typical Thailand profile. She’s pretty, she’s young, about 28, she’s available. She lives in a province of Isaan, Thailand. She speaks “some” English. She works in a hair salon. She’s looking for a suitor in the 40-55 age range. You are admiring her pictures and are considering clicking that icon that says “Show Your Interest” in the hopes of exchanging messages and maybe even making a date.
You look on the four photos, blinded by her more than average looks, and you suddenly realize that’s a hotel bed in the room. Huh? Other pictures start to look very suspicious. A girl is casually lying on a hotel bed. Or standing near the open door of a hotel toilet, obvious from the hotel style shampoo and soap hanging about. Or sitting in the posh lobby of a hotel. Or sitting at a bar table with foreign males all around and wearing a low-cut top and hip-baring jeans. Or posing in a photo that's been cropped in half to remove the BF, past (or present) tense. Or leaning on the railing of a fast motorboat with the Mediterranean in the background. Or sitting in the seat of a European sports sedan with a distinctly European architecture dressing the background. Or sitting on a white leather sofa in an Italian villa. Or wearing a beautiful designer blouse, with jewelry decorating the neck and cleavage, as well as a pair of designer sunglasses holding back red-dyed locks. I could go on. Huh! I already have.
I’ve seen all of these examples on Thailovelinks.com website, probably one of the better online dating services. So as not to portray TLL as the only dating site or only one harboring The Three Types, there are dozens of others. Each showcases a mix of eligible girls, of which there are three types: pay-for-play service providers; "ordinary" girls who learn how to play a number of foreigners at the same time; and a few, very few, "ordinary" girls who might, maybe, possibly could be genuinely out to find the "one" guy. But don't hold me to that statement. Because it really, really is all about the money. And if they're on a dating site, you will very likely lose the bet if you bet against me.
Your choice will depend on what you’re looking for, of course, and which dating site. As I said, straight pay-for-play is frequently available at the drop of an instant message. Just look for the photos I described above. Heck, they don't even have to be that risque. Now, the second type of girl is available in huge quantities. Yes, a gal has to hedge her bets, but it seems the country girls (Isaan, in particular) have MBA level skills in marketing and manipulation.
There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of stories of guys accidentally hooking up with a Type 2 date. Several recent correspondents to Stickman (Brokenman tales, by an Englishman, Aug. 31 and Queen of Lies and Deceit, by a Canadian, Aug. 21, 2009) have told disappointing or harrowing tales about girls they've met on dating sites, Thailovelinks in one case.
That was kind of a long digression there. Back to our theme: Thailand dating site.
Many girls certainly can't afford to have a couple of decent photos shot and buy internet time to upload a nice selection. You can see many such examples. Among the more general picture problems: out of focus, poor resolution, little or no lighting, inappropriate makeup, poor clothing, wrong angles, and my favourite, the girl seemingly shot from the next province with a point-and-shoot camera -- you can hardly tell the gender. So I guess I can assume that with all of these mistakes, putting up a photo shot on a hotel bed is no more or no less than just another mistake.I will take, any day, a picture shot in the natural light, with the girl wearing no makeup, probably in back of the farm, with rice fields flowing off into the distance. That scene tells me a lot more: there’s truth of purpose there, unlike the photos shot in the fancy digs. As for the latter, the message is that the girl has been auditioning other men, shall we say. And yes, they’ve been auditioning her. Fair enough.
Here are some general findings about Thailovelinks girls:
- TLL is just one of many in an Australian company’s huge portfolio of worldwide dating sites
- Has thousands of Thai girls as members, and a few from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos
- Most are from impoverished provinces, especially those in northeastern Thailand, otherwise called Isaan in Thai
- Very good interface, with quick links at top of member’s page. Annoying refresh function from site that, yes, does update member situations, but sometimes mucks up multiple open tabs for the site
- Profile template as limited as other sites’ profile formats. You don’t learn much about the girl through the boilerplate profile format and, because she frequently can’t say much in English, there’s little to go by except the photo album. Many do write in Thai, and fortunately there is a superb Thai-to-English translation website
- TLL is very careful to issue warnings about scams and it repeatedly show tips such as “never send money to a stranger you’ve met over the net.” TLL is very quick to delete scam posts
- Some may like this feature about the profiles but there are a quite few "working girls" on the site. But also I think there are some legit romance seekers however
- Regular free membership upgradable to gold and platinum for cash. You cannot read messages from interested girls unless you go to gold
This is just one person's experiences with one service, although I checked out some others. The latter seemed especially good at pawing at your wallet and throwing ad links in your face.
In conclusion, I found it all rather frustrating, possibly thinking an introduction website might give me some leads. I made many contacts but 98.5% of them wilted after the first exchange. My biggest downfall, other than not throwing promises at their loving feet, was that I was far away. Distance makes the heart grow cold, methinks.
I actually do have one teacher in mind for my visit in December. She, who lives in Ubon, seems to be agreeable. We'll see how it goes and whether I'll ignore all my findings above. I'll report, good or bad.
That's probably all you'll want to read this time out. Next part, I will describe my experiences with chnlove.com dating site for mainland Chinese girls.